Monday, October 21, 2013

                       These latest violent riots in Russia have just reaffirmed to me how divided and chaotic this crazy world is. From the uprising and Libya and the toppling of the ruthless and oppressive dictator Moammar Gadhafi, to the recent terrorist attacks at at mall in Kenya, all the the way to this latest act of senseless violence, this trend is becoming increasingly concerning to me.

In my opinion, which is an opinion shared by most I believe, legal immigration is good. They key word is LEGAL. I have no problem with someone who wants to come into this country legally in an attempt to pursue a better life for themselves and their family. I am of the belief that people interacting from different cultures, religious beliefs, economic backgrounds and other differences, is typically good for society.

However, with the latest incident in Russia just adding to the  long list of acts of violence based on religious and or ethnic differences, it gets me thinking about the policy of isolationism. If the U.S. implements a policy of isolationism, in which we are cut off from the rest of the would, and thus preventing other ethnic and religious groups from coming in, it would potentially  prevent the U.S. from  having similar riots themselves.

Now, let me be clear, I think a policy of complete isolationism for the U.S. would be a bad idea. I believe that we need to remain engaged with other countries not only to build alliances but also to potentially work out trade deals, that could be enriching to all countries involved. Its just, when I read about another uprising/riot in a foreign country, it gets me thinking about ideas to prevent the U.S. from suffering the same fate. However, this idea of complete isolationism is perhaps extreme and should never happen for real.

3 comments:

  1. My sense is the isolationism just creates new divides. Look at how polarized the US is even before we consider ethnic and racial divides. Even if we shut ourselves off from the world, I think that there is more than enough contentiousness to keep inventing new divisions. Indeed, some of these so-called migrants are just from different regions of Russia--they aren't even foreigners (although in this case I believe the supposed stabber is reported to be from Azerbaijan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tucker,

    I completely agree with you. The cultural divide Moscow is experiencing is common around the world and, sadly, is component of human nature. Regardless of whether one immigrates or simply migrates to a new region, they should abide by the areas customs and laws.

    Cullen Cosco

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see where you are coming from with your idea of isolationism. However I believe that there is still potential for the United States to still become involved with foreign affairs, but maybe not so directly. For example we could always support through humanitarian aid, with that we would hold influence but at the same time could not be viewed as the bad guy if all we're doing is feeding the needy in other countries.

    ReplyDelete