Thursday, November 21, 2013

CEO

Maybe I am naive. I have been called horrible names because of my political views such as Fascist and Nazi. People have often told me that because of my Conservative political views "I must hate poor people." This bothers me in a way but at the same time it doesn't. The reason it doesn't bother me is because when people make those comments, they are so asinine that I just shrug them off and don't even bother having a conversation with that person, because if they are going to stoop to a fourth grade intellect level and resort to name calling, I have no time for them. On the other hand, it bothers me because even though those people are vastly uninformed and could not be further from the truth, if they spread the false belief that Conservatives are Fascist, poor-people hating lunatics, than it smears Conservatives values and may lead to other, less informed people believing that garbage.

     With that said, I have no problem with CEO's making more money than the average worker. They have probably put in many years and hours of blood, sweat and tears to get where they are today. If everyone were to make the same amount of money, or close to it anyway, then there would be no incentive for advancement with the company, so hopefully a person can work their  way up the corporate structure and one day and make as much money as that CEO.

As long as the corporation is fulfilling its main duty, which is to make money for the shareholders, then whatever pay structure they have, within reason, is fine by me. However, they do have to pay their workers and employees fairly and treat them with dignity and respect.

1 comment:

  1. It does seem like everyone in principle can agree on the idea of "reasonable" differences in pay. The problem is though, that it is hard to determine what this means. Some argue that this is just an effect of markets, while others note that in the past, CEO pay relative to the lowest paid worker was only about 20-30 times as high, whereas now it is usually over 100 times as high. It seems like there are big differences in what differences have come about and been seen as acceptable. The real differences come when examining these details, and that's when the nasty names come out (I for one can't believe anyone would call you a fascist as you are so personable--but I guess anything is possible in politics, or in comment sections).

    ReplyDelete